Re: Seashore tricks

Subject: Re: Seashore tricks
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:07:56 -0400
Steve Pelikan wrote:

> I'd appreciate special shore-related suggestions concerning the following
> topics (among others)
>
> 1. Ideas for protection of equipment from blowing sand

I have a Portabrace case on my Portadisc, that provides a lot of
protection, though it's not proof against blowing sand. A lot is in how
you carry the equipment to keep it out of the worst.

> 2. Getting close enough to shorebirds to record them w/o flushing them.
> Anyone use blinds? I'm sure there's lots of field craft to be learned here,
> maybe even from photographers. Suggestions on timing of recording relative
> to tides/water level, bird's arrival on the flats, feeding vs. roosting etc.
> would be extremely valuable to me and (I imagine) others.

I've been able to pick up shorebirds for considerable distance with my
Telinga. Listen to my Savannah NWR recording and realize that most of
those birds are several hundred yards away.

Yes, fieldcraft enters in and using cover is part of that. Blinds seem
like overkill.

> 3. Recording near breaking surf. (Any better suggestions than "get close,
> get upwind and point the mic. away from the waves"? I'm not expecting to
> break the laws of physics, but still I'm sure there's lots I haven't
> considered here.)

Bernie in his book gives specific instructions for this. It boils down
to do multiple recordings and mix a surf sound that's natural sounding.
Check his instructions.