Re: A few newbie questions and my not-so-porable setup

Subject: Re: A few newbie questions and my not-so-porable setup
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:58:43 -0400
Richard wrote:
> What is the performance of Minidisc recorders vs. a PC soundcard input?

Minidisc recorders are not a monolithic thing, there are quite a few
models of both consumer and pro level. Most minidisc recorders will have
better inputs for mic recording than soundcards do.

> Do the MD recorders have "real" mic inputs, or are preamps required to
> drive line inputs?

real mic inputs, real preamps.

> Many condenser mics require 48V phantom power. How is this handled?

The pro recorders like my Portadisc have XLR inputs and supply phantom
power if needed. For consumer "walkman" minidisc a separate power supply
is necessary. Usually supplied in conjunction with a higher quality mic
pre like the recently discontinued Sound Devices MP2.

> How many of you have taken notebooks into the field as recording
> devices?

I have used notebooks in the field, but not as recording devices. I
strongly recommend a made for the purpose field recorder over using a
notebook.

> To go mobile, I would need a 12VDC-to-120VAC inverter since the Art Tube
> MP's wall adapter supplies AC rather than DC. I would either have to lug
> a 12V battery or stay near a vehicle.

This is only part of the problem of going mobile with a notebook. The
notebook is really designed to be portable from desk to desk indoors.
It's very risky for the notebook and very inconvenient.

> The notebook could run off its own batteries and charge off the
> inverter.

If you go this route you would not actually have to cart the inverter,
particularly if you are going there in a car. Have enough batteries for
your portable periods, and use the inverter in the car to recharge.

> Since my home backs up to a bayou and wild area, I have gotten some good
> results just placing the mic in my backyard. I may experiment with
> longer cables to get it further out.

I you hunted up Lang's comments on the hazards of long cables you would
discover that there are distinct limits there. His problem was the
beaver would chomp through the cables.

While I'm sure you can get quite a bit of stuff from your yard, you will
find there's lots more if you are fully portable.

> Has anyone ever used a setup at all similar to mine?

There are some in the group who advocate and have used notebooks as
recorders. I use a HHb Portadisc minidisc field recorder.

> What are the preferred mics?

That's a endless subject and there are a large variety of good choices.
It contains within it how much you are willing to spend, what sound
quality satisfies you, what sites you wish to record and what sounds. As
well as more. There is really no one preferred mic, or even one
preferred type. Decide in some way the stuff above and then look at what
fits.

For high quality recordings the mic is the most important piece of
equipment, followed by the preamps and last the rest of the recorder.
Unfortunately very high quality mics are expensive. Most make some sort
of compromise and live with somewhat lower quality mics. Good recordings
can be made even with fairly low quality mics, but often with a lot more
effort.

The most common mic types in nature recording have traditionally been
parabolic microphones and shotgun microphones. These are used primarily
to record calls. Parabolic microphones provide extra gain due to the
reflector, and the same reflector provides considerable rejection of
sounds off axis. They provide the sharpest directionality. Shotgun mics
provide rejection of off axis sounds, though not as narrow as
parabolics. They provide no extra gain above that of a more normal mic,
so require more amplification than parabolics. I mostly use a Telinga
Pro V stereo parabolic for call recording. Others make different choices.

Recording of ambiance as opposed to individual calls is another way to
go. Here sharp directionality is usually not wanted. Stereo is a big
advantage. (Stereo is also a advantage in call recording). Natural
ambiance contains times when the sound level is very low. This will
reveal the self noise that all mics have, so very low self noise is a
requirement for a mic used for ambiance. This is a big cost factor, low
noise mics are more costly by a wide margin than more noisy ones. The
self noise of the rest of the recording chain has to be low too.

In addition to the Telinga, I currently routinely use:
Three different M/S stereo setups, all using Sennheiser MKH mics:
  A MKH-60/MKH-30 combo, the MKH-60 is a short shotgun mic.
  A MKH-40/MKH-30 combo, the MKH-40 is a cardioid mic, the MKH-30 is a
figure 8 mic for the side mic.
  A combo of two MKH-80 multipattern mics.
Two different modified SASS setups, again Sennheiser mics:
  A SASS with MKH-20's
  A SASS with MKH-110's
I also have a pair of MKH-816 long shotgun mics that I've yet to get
kitted out with suspension and windscreens. And some other mics awaiting
setup.

The Sennheiser MKH series is their top mics. They are very expensive. I
saved a large amount of money finding them on Ebay. Though that used
lots of my time. The Sennheiser ME series mics will work well, they are
the next step down, though there is no figure 8 mic in that series to
make up M/S combo's. A few mics of other brands will work. Many mics
won't, either being too noisy, or too sensitive to environmental
conditions, especially moisture.