A few newbie questions and my not-so-porable setup

Subject: A few newbie questions and my not-so-porable setup
From: "Richard" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:18:18 -0500
What is the performance of Minidisc recorders vs. a PC soundcard input?

Do the MD recorders have "real" mic inputs, or are preamps required to
drive line inputs?

Many condenser mics require 48V phantom power. How is this handled?

How many of you have taken notebooks into the field as recording
devices?

I am getting into nature recording as an offshoot of recording sounds in
my neighborhood. My setup is described on
http://www.richardsfault.com/how.html.

Nature recordings made from my yard with this setup can be heard at the
www.richardsfault.com <http://www.richardsfault.com/>  RELAXING folder.

To go mobile, I would need a 12VDC-to-120VAC inverter since the Art Tube
MP's wall adapter supplies AC rather than DC. I would either have to lug
a 12V battery or stay near a vehicle.

I would also have to install Cool Edit Pro on a notebook PC.

The notebook could run off its own batteries and charge off the
inverter.

Since my home backs up to a bayou and wild area, I have gotten some good
results just placing the mic in my backyard. I may experiment with
longer cables to get it further out.

Has anyone ever used a setup at all similar to mine?

What are the preferred mics?