Newbie questions

Subject: Newbie questions
From: "Richard" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:39:54 -0000
What is the performance of Minidisc recorders vs. a PC soundcard
input?

Do the MD recorders have "real" mic inputs, or are preamps
required
to drive line inputs?

Many condenser mics require 48V phantom power. How is this handled?

How many of you have taken notebooks into the field as recording
devices?

I am getting into nature recording as an offshoot of recording sounds
in my neighborhood. My setup is described on
http://www.richardsfault.com/how.html.

Nature recordings made from my yard with this setup can be heard at
the www.richardsfault.com RELAXING folder.

To go mobile, I would need a 12VDC-to-120VAC inverter since the Art
Tube MP's wall adapter supplies AC rather than DC. I would either
have to lug a 12V battery or stay near a vehicle.

I would also have to install Cool Edit Pro on a notebook PC.

The notebook could run off its own batteries and charge off the
inverter.

Since my home backs up to a bayou and wild area, I have gotten some
good results just placing the mic in my backyard. I may experiment
with longer cables to get it further out.

Has anyone ever used a setup at all similar to mine?

What are the preferred mics?