Re: Seashore tricks

Subject: Re: Seashore tricks
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:36:10 -0700
Recording at the sea-shore is the trickiest activity of all, Steve.
If the surf's up, there is pretty much no way to avoid getting some
of the "white noise" onto your recordings - even at some distance
(200m - 400m). Depending on the wind direction and topography, low
frequency from the surf can travel a several miles inland, even.
Usually, at inland lakes, the low freq. problem is less apparent
because the wave action is different.

To protect from blowing sand, use zip-loc bags for starters.

To get shorebirds there are two suggestions: pick a day with lite
wind and wave action (good luck) and try to use a shotgun or
parabolic (Telinga). Earlier the better. When events conspire in your
favor, if you remain still long enough in one spot, the birds will
often come close enough to record decent sound absent a whole lot of
surf noise.

As for surf, years ago I just gave up and recorded the surf as a
component of the soundscape, making sure that I got it from all
perspectives (near-field, mid-field, and far-field) so that the
illusion would carry over in the mix. Then I went out and recorded
isolated populations of shore birds as far away from raging surf as
possible. For instance, for California gulls, I went all the way to
Mono Lake - east of Yosemite - to record them at the Lee Vining
garbage dump near where they breed in the spring. That's a 200 mile
drive from where I live, but the best place to record that species I
know of. (Also the home of many spade foot toads, Spea intermontanus)
For other species, I went to other more isolated inland sites, such
as estuaries, where they alighted and vocalized. That way, I could
create a rich, honest, and compelling illusion of birds at the shore.
Otherwise, the result just sounded flat and listless when done all at
the same time.

Bernie Krause

>Marty's posting that he was recording at/near Monomoy brings up a good
>subject for discussion.
>
>What methods/tricks/techniques do you all use at the shore? I only get to
>one about once a year, at best --- usually on an island, about 4 miles SW of
>where Marty was. Because my visits to the shore are rare, irregular, and
>brief, almost any comments or suggestions you could offer would improve my
>efficiency and results when I do get there.
>
>I'd appreciate special shore-related suggestions concerning the following
>topics (among others)
>
>1. Ideas for protection of equipment from blowing sand
>
>2. Getting close enough to shorebirds to record them w/o flushing them.
>Anyone use blinds? I'm sure there's lots of field craft to be learned here,
>maybe even from photographers. Suggestions on timing of recording relative
>to tides/water level, bird's arrival on the flats, feeding vs. roosting etc.
>would be extremely valuable to me and (I imagine) others.
>
>3. Recording near breaking surf. (Any better suggestions than "get close,
>get upwind and point the mic. away from the waves"? I'm not expecting to
>break the laws of physics, but still I'm sure there's lots I haven't
>considered here.)
>
>(Marty: My sympathy! This spring, for the _N+1_st time, I followed
>Black-bellied Plover across  fields hoping they'd vocalize. Would they were
>Whimbrels, silent or not !--- I'm in SW Ohio.)
>
>Thanks!
>
>Steve P

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536