Re: database programs?

Subject: Re: database programs?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 14:21:04 -0400
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Welcome back Walt!
> Thanks. Render Web within Filemaker Pro 6 Unlimited does it. $1200!
> I'm thinking: PDA in the field to fill in form for off load into data
> base. Down the road, to create an on line searchable archive, add
> sound file links to selected data base records and render them to
> html docs for uploading and searching on line (SSL security access
> too). A lot of money but it consolidates a lot of tasks. Might be
> something cheaper out there. Watch out, that Palm could be mistaken
> for even used as a sound recorder. Rob D.

Yes, by the time you get into the full web end of Filemaker you are into
some money. They clearly are aiming at the commercial market, not poor
nature recordists. The PDA version of Filemaker is fairly inexpensive,
though you have to have regular Filemaker to use it. The PDA version is
basically a interface and converter plus the database software for the PDA.

The Filemaker for the palm will do the field entry. Though I did have a
problem in my case. In my computer Filemaker database I make extensive
use of data entry lists and menus (keeps down spelling errors) and also
use repeating fields. Each record in my database is a single site
recording, and repeating fields are used to enter all the species found.
The palm version will handle all that except the repeating fields. It
only gets the first repeat. I have to export the data and reimport it
into a custom set up database converting the repeating field data to a
combined single text entry before sending it to the palm right now. I
can probably do a lot better, but have not had the time to really work
on it. I was primarily interested in having the data available for
reference, not data entry, so what I've got is just fine for now.

So, if you wanted to do data entry synced to your computer datafile you
would want to use care in the form design to stay within the limitations
of the palm version. The Filemaker palm software does reformat the data
to display effectively on the palm btw, it does not just transfer your
computer form, only the data. On the plus side you don't have to
download the data from the palm and then import that into filemaker.
Once set up a simple standard HotSync operation will update your
computer copy for you if you set it to do it that way. In my case I have
the HotSync options set to only update from the computer to Palm.

The same Filemaker version also works with the mini windows machines
that are out now.

While the Palm Tungsten C I use does have a built in keyboard, data
entry would take longer than with pen on a card. It would be much longer
if using Palm's Graffiti handwriting recognition. Palm's are really
designed for short text entrys.

Yes I know the Palm could be made to record, though only in mono and at
poor sampling rates, it's recording is designed for voice notes at
minimal memory usage. I do have all my website frogcalls in it as mp3's
and it plays them fine at pretty good quality through it's tiny speaker.
Though not at high volume, so no way you could use it for callback. It's
neat to be able to show someone photos, play the call, show them
distribution maps, all with something that slips into a pocket.