Re: using playback

Subject: Re: using playback
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:25:09 -0000
And then you have areas like "Owl Avenue" in MN that is recognized as
a hot spot.  One place that the MN people know that they can go to
and find 6 species that are close to impossible to find elsewhere in
the state.  The poor birds get hit with playback by guides,
photographers, videographers, new bird watchers, and state
researchers.  Jeremy does not have the problem of known hotspot
birders in his journeys that we do.  I won't use playback but I fall
short of beating the people up that I bird with that use it.  I just
ask to get my audio first before they screw it up with playback.

Rich Peet

--- In  "Barb Beck" <>
wrote:
> Good point.  When used with care it can be a great tool.
> Barb

Remember
> that in tropical forests there are a lot of species and many of
these are
> very little known. For some species there are no commercially
available
> recordings and without playback I would end up with a lot of
unidentified
> vocalisations.
>
> Jeremy
>

> At 12:25 02/07/03 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hi Jeremy and Joseph,
> >I think you are frequently going to be disappointed with the
vocalizations
> >you get using playback to get a bird to vocalize.  I have used it
from time
> >to time particularly with a bird that I do not have a recording of
for my
> >students or one that is nearly impossible for me to get to (Western
> >Flycatchers who live on steep sides of canyons above rushing water
where it
> >makes recording difficult to say the least - particularly for a
gimpy old
> >lady)  Often the bird gives a very very agitated song - one you do
not even
> >hear as another male encroaches its teritory.  Possibly because we
are so
> >loud and maybe in the middle of his area.  Anyway it produces very
> unnatural
> >sounding songs at least to these old ears.
> >
> >What also disturbs me is the way these very agitated birds react.
They
> >expose themselves much more than they normally do with obvious
consequences
> >if there is a predator around and it also takes them away from
what they
> >should be doing - eating and raising a family. Just use it with
care for
> the
> >bird and for your recordings.  One of my early recording trips I
played an
> >oven bird in an area where I knew one had been singing to get a
recording.
> >It was late in the nesting season and the bird was not singing
The bird
> >shot out of the woods immediately and perched above us on a stick
singing
> >very loudly and fast.  The worst thing is that after recording it
we left
> >and came back by the area about 15 minutes later - the bird was
still
> >exposed and singing.  Really made me stop and think about what we
had done.
> >The recording although loud was not a natural sounding song.
> >
> >Barb Beck
> >Edmonton AB Canada
MiniDisc

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/