Re: using playback

Subject: Re: using playback
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:59:32 -0400
At 01:18 AM 7/3/2003 +0000, rich peet wrote:

>I doubt that you would go along with the concept of use of playback
>for mistnetting songbirds and protending that the results have
>anything to do with populations in reality.
>
>I doubt that you teach your students to use playback inorder to
>record sound of routine songbirds and to determine numbers of nest
>sites in a rare breeding area.
>
>I doubt that you advertise that your class teaches callback as a
>selling point in your bird field classes.
>
>Our University of MN does.
>
>Rich Peet
I understand Rich's point.   Set soapbox on.  Then U of MN bird field
classes stinks if they do that!

Doug's points, repeatedly, and mine, long past, about playback are:

1. the birds at the limit of their ranges, where survival is tenuous and
competitive listers are often in over-drive, are sent nuts by zealous
listers and their "instant gratification electronic playback-machines";
2. the sounds you might record from the poor beasts after even one playback=

are hyper-adrenalin, hyper-active sounds, not real songs; and
3. there are many, many "tour groups" that use playback to ensure
competitive and financial security.  Yccht.

Set soapbox off. Again.

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBirds=
.com