Re: Digital Distortion

Subject: Re: Digital Distortion
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:51:53 +0200
Yes, Evert, this is what is so confusing. On one hand it seems to be risky
to - for example - normalize a file. But on the other hand a company like
Steinberg can make a professional software, where you have to disable
normalizing manually! It doesn't make sense.
I'd rather wonder if there should come up a warning :"You are now going to
normalize the file. Are you sure you want to continue?"
Or?? How much damage is there?=20

I mean, an English recordist made a MiniDisc test. He made 12 analog (?)
generations before other birders could hear any change. That is at least
SOME measure of distortion. After such a test I have at least SOME idea of
what MD can and cannot.

I don't care much about this if I am going to make a MP3 file for the web.
But suppose I want to make a CD to send to someone, to show the top
performance of something?

Can I use the fantastic simplification it means just to burn it from my
already PC edited wav. files??

Or must I make an analog copy? With analog filtering? To get the best!

Computer based software is such a fantastic thing! It simplifies everything=
!
I love it!

But how good is it?
It is not a question, really, I just want to arouse the topic.

Klas.