Re: virus

Subject: Re: virus
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:54:19 -0400
evertveldhuis wrote:
> It are not the users who are guilty, it are the ISP.
> They provide the viruses, and they should scan for spam also.
> they have the means, the technology, and it would limit their
> bandwith, their mailserver space and it would generate happy
> customers.

I'm not near so likely to forgive users. They bought the flawed OS, the
warnings have been available for years. They are the money source that
allows this all to continue. Clearly it will only be fixed when these
same users demand it. And the only way to shake them out of ignoring it
is to make it painful for them. Set standards for being allowed to
connect and stick with them.

The ISP does not provide the virus, they are only a link in the
connection. Kind of like blaming the wire that connects you to the ISP
for it.

Could they provide all this special service to fix a problem with just
one OS? Yes, they could. But why should I, a user of a OS that does not
need that have to have it part of my cost of service. For the ISP will
pass on any cost.

> Right now in Holland a few providers actually do filter at their
> severs, but the bloodsuckers charge extra money for it.

That's because it does cost a whole lot of server time to search each
message.

> Regards, Evert - who has both a firewall and Norton Antivirus cause I
> am on cable :)

Good for you, though that's not foolproof. Wish more windows users would
do the same.

 From a user of a machine that needs no extra firewall (it's built in),
and does not bother with virus protection because there is no need with
my machine.