Re: Re: virus

Subject: Re: Re: virus
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:26:41 -0400
qukza wrote:
> I wouldn't get over confident about the protection afforded by OS X.
> Isn't OS X the OS with a software updating system that initially had
> no security or authentication? Even MS, bad as they have been, has a
> hard time topping that one. Lack of market share is a better reason
> to feel confident. It's a true stealth OS!

None of us leave the updating set on automatic. Who wants the OS to
suddenly decide to download 80 megs while doing something else?

I also was talking about the Mac OS, which ended with OS 9, which is
what I'm still using. OS X is unix, pure and simple. With a thin candy
coating. Not the Mac OS as far as I'm concerned. Like windows it's a
imitation of the original mac os.

The other protection against virus attack with OS X is that it is unix.
If a hacker wants to really get the hacker community out to get him he
would build a unix virus. That would take down the servers that are the
core of the internet. Lack of market share would be unnoticeable in the
damage done.

I believe the one with the lack of security or authentication was the
public beta. Which should never have been considered a example of what
the OS is. It was awful, and incomplete, the current OS X is quite a
different animal, though still far less user friendly than the Mac OS
was. Which is why I'm resisting going downhill in OS functionality.
Though I have little choice, it's now either unix or windows.

The big reason why the mac os has been more secure is that apps don't
modify the core os in the way it's done in windows. It's far more
difficult to do damage. I'm not sure that advantage still applies with
OS X. Even the unix folks don't know what all is going on in there.

At least OS X is not continually spying on us. Microsoft is all set to
blackmail the world.

I'm very happy not to be the target windows folks are. And have no
problem having my computer do everything I need. With apps I have hardly
looked at the manual. Many of my manuals are still the the shrinkwrap. A
different story from the apps I use in a PC.