RE: Re: Sony PSP: a blip on the radar screen

Subject: RE: Re: Sony PSP: a blip on the radar screen
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:59:40 +0100
>A solid-state memory unit has a shock rating 10 times
>greater (2000G), so it's the best option of the three
>for a recorder in a high-shock environment.

.. unless the recorder is a 96k 24 bit uncompressed LPCM recorder - the
memory cards would cost nearly as much as the recorder!

What is worth considering here, that even with a 4GB compact flash costing=

=A31500 ( which will drop very fast over the next six months to a year ) -=

this is a one off purchase, and not the archival media. How many DAT tapes=

does a professional recordist use during the lifetime of a DAT machine ?
Even with MD what is the total cost of media over the lifetime of the
product ? The Marantz PMD670 ( which is coming in at significantly less
than =A31000 without media, so the media would be about twice the cost of
the machine itself ), plus one of these 4GB cards would give you pretty
much a full working day ( six hours or so ) of uncompressed stereo
recording time. If you record every day in a professional context then
even with the media at this price it still works out a lot cheaper over
product lifetime than DAT or MD according to my calculations.

If you don't want to carry a laptop in the field, there are now also
available options for dumping the contents of a card onto a larger
portable hard drive
for example the KingByte X drive ( http://www.kingbyte.com ).

Matt

Matt Jarvis