Re: Sony PSP: a blip on the radar screen

Subject: Re: Sony PSP: a blip on the radar screen
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 06:18:53 -0000
> The core of the PSP is the "Universal Media Device,"  a 60mm disc
> with 1.8GB capacity (about the same size as a minidisc, with three
> times greater capacity).=20

Oops! An audio minidisc stores about 160MB, so the new disc in the
PSP will store 11 times more, not three!=20

I'd guess that the new disc will use a version of Sony's "Blu-Ray"
laser system.  Sony's partner, Philips, has demonstrated a 30mm "Blu-
Ray" optical disc with storage capacity of 1GB.  The full size
120mm "Blu-Ray" disc will hold 27GB, making it a good candidate to
substitute for the 20 to 40GB hard drives now being incorporated into
high-end recorders (Nagra V, Deva V, HHB Portadrive, and so on).=20
This should satisfy recordists who prefer to archive the original
recording.  Blu-Ray disc drives are for sale in Japan already, albeit
at astronomical prices.

--oryoki