Re: Sony PSP: a blip on the radar screen

Subject: Re: Sony PSP: a blip on the radar screen
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:04:14 -0700 (PDT)
> The core of the PSP is the "Universal Media Device,"  a 60mm disc
> with 1.8GB capacity (about the same size as a minidisc, with three
> times greater capacity).  The PSP will use ATRAC, but will also
> support MPEG4 video and audio.

Uh, actually that's a bit less than 3x the capacity of a 74 minute CD and
well over 10x the capacity of a current MD (I believe they hold about 155
MB of data?).

The potential is great! But I won't be surprised if the first generation
can't record... and/or Sony ruins it by, of course, with artificial
restrictions on what it can/can't do.

Off topic... why hasn't some upstart company made a consumer MD that can
upload recordings via firewire or USB? I imagine it must be strictly
forbidden by Sony's licensing of MD...

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org