RE: "noise substitution" in MPEG-4 audio (AAC)

Subject: RE: "noise substitution" in MPEG-4 audio (AAC)
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:53:51 -0700
I received this reply from JJ Profitt on the pro-audio list:

PNS is an encoder option. It may be used, it does not have to be used. How
it works when it is used depends greatly on the ability of the encoder to do
it right.

It's not in common use in any encoder I know of. Control and calculation of
how to use it is nasty and difficult.

JJ