"noise substitution" in MPEG-4 audio (AAC)

Subject: "noise substitution" in MPEG-4 audio (AAC)
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:39:21 -0700
 From an article by Oliver Masciarotte in Mix, Sept. 2002, p. 97-98:

"One of the new additions to the MPEG-4 audio toolbox, along with
long-term prediction and bit-rate scaleability tools, is Perceptual
Noise Substitution, or PNS, a feature designed to further optimize
bit rate efficiency.

"PNS is based on the observation that, perceptually, all noise sounds
about the same. This means that the actual fine structure of a noise
signal isn't that important. Rather, the bitstream just transmits a
region of frequencies as noise-like; additional information defines
the total power in that band. In the decoder, a randomly generated
noise will be inserted into the appropriate spectral region according
to the power level."

Hmmm. We've known that ever since we faked crowd sounds by exhaling
into a resonance between our hands. Will this technique wipe out soft
sounds or reverb tails sinking into a noise floor?  Will it
substitute pink noise for a subtle ambience? Is this feature
something that an encoder can use or not use?

-Dan Dugan