Re: Re: Walt and List Toxicity

Subject: Re: Re: Walt and List Toxicity
From: "Randolph S. Little" <>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 20:32:01 -0400
Hi NatureRecordists,

Rich egged me into weighing in.  Have been lurking right along,
but concentrating more on field recording now that spring migrants
are arriving in the northeast.  Just came off five consecutive mornings
of cooperative weather, which is almost unheard of in these parts.

The real "discovery" is that remote miking is no longer the only
technique for obtaining decent signal-to-noise ratio in bird sound
recording in the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and other
nearby venues.  Ten to fifteen years ago I had virtually abandoned
recording with my parabolic system or shotgun mike because of
the incessant noise of aircraft approaching and leaving the New York
area.  Noise abatement, traffic re-routes and perhaps even traffic
decline have changed the picture from abominable to workable.
Still not as naturally quiet as some favorite Sierra Nevada venues,
but I'll not be going out there this year and am determined to get
some good material right here in the Garden State.

So, back to lurking so I can be ready to roll before dawn tomorrow
if it isn't raining.

Good recording,
                               Randy