Re: Food for Thought & Equipment for Newbies and oldies...

Subject: Re: Food for Thought & Equipment for Newbies and oldies...
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:49:13 -0400
Wild Sanctuary wrote:
> Speaking of price: I've had one (MS set) MKH 30 and MKH 40 for over
> 13 years. I paid just under $1000USD for each of them at the time.
> They've never failed despite the terrible treatment to which I submit
> them. I now own three MS pairs for multiple recordings at one site.
> For the old pair, that comes out to around $70/year per mic. I can't
> imagine a better value, and always remember, one gets what one pays
> for.

I definitely view mics as more in the class of lifetime investments, or
very long term. At least the higher end stuff. And they are very tough
to outgrow.

While it's painful to buy, that passes. Soon it will be not even a
memory. What you will continue to notice is what you can do with the mics.

I did better than you did for initial price, Bernie. By buying off ebay
I paid under $500 for each of the two mics in my MS MKH-30/40 setup. Now
all I have to do is wait a while and I'll have a cheap annual price too.

I also got a story to tell. The MKH-30 in that setup came from Moscow,
Russia. Out of the Octavia mic folks. A most interesting auction.