Re: Food for Thought & Equipment for Newbies and oldies...

Subject: Re: Food for Thought & Equipment for Newbies and oldies...
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:17:46 -0000
--- In  "pratap  singh"
<> wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> I have an old sennheiser ME88/K3U. The mike has very very low
> gain.Do you know what could be the reason? Bettery is fine.
>
> Pratap Singh

Hi Pratap,

I guess, that it is the normal behavior of this model. According to
the specifications, the sensitivity is 5 mV/Pa only. The newer
models (K6/ME67), which have replaced these older ones, provide much
higher voltages (50 mV/Pa). However, this should not be a major
problem. You simply had to add some more gain on your recorder mic
amp.

I recorded the drumming sound made by a Great Spotted Woodpecker
with this old K3U/ME88:
http://www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/sounds.htm (14th row)
Despite of the relatively low output level of this  microphone, it
is a good recording (the distance to the bird was about 4 meters).

The Common Toad recordings (Frogs section at the bottom of the page)
were also made using this old microphone.

Raimund