Re: Sennheiser MKH 815T microphone

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH 815T microphone
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:58:26 -0400
grant finlay wrote:
> Hi Walt,
> I think you can get a softie for a 816/815 but am not 100% sure as I
> havn't investigated
> it myself, am going on 2nd hand infomation so you my be right!
> MS with the 816/30 sounds interesting, please put the results up on
> your site as I'd like to hear it.

I will put some up. Don't know when as I'm trying to get some things
done before the full spring frog stuff. Right now we are in between, the
winter callers are pretty well done, and spring ones still in the early
phase. My next projects are Carpenter Frogs and more of the extended
hunt for the Pine Barrens Treefrog in Georgia.

And, although I have all the parts, I still have to put it together,
which will involve a little machining. There are no dual clips made for
the combo.

Even more fun will come if I decide to set up to do my two MKH-816's as
X-Y. Suspension and windscreen for that will be interesting to say the
least.

The slots of the interference tube in a 816 extend nearly 47cm. The
longest softie I know about is 32cm, and it's for a larger diameter mic.
The longest one with the right diameter is 24cm. I just checked a couple
websites and that's also what the rycote pdf on softie models says. That
pdf says there is no model available for the 816. I might could make one
by rebuilding two 24's, but if I'm doing that much hassle I might as
well do the full up setup.

There is a 29cm softie for the MKH-70. The MKH70 is about 6" shorter
than the MKH-816. Maybe that's the one you were thinking of.