Re: Sennheiser MKH 815T microphone

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH 815T microphone
From: grant finlay <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:24:05 +1200
Hi Walt,
  Sorry to disagree but...
The 815 Is the same length as the 816.
I think you may have it confused with the  415 ( same length as 416)
I know because I have owned  both 815/816. as for noise, its not an
issue as with all the mkh series,I've found it comes down to the pre
amp more often than not. Currently I use a SQN 4S series 4 mixer and
have no problem with noise at all.
Regarding wind protection, I've found that the rycote softie is the
most economical way to go and does a good job in most conditions but a
full gale. Personally I use a full rycote blimb rig as my main line of
work is doco's for film/tv, and I don't have much control over shooting
conditions/locations.
Grant Finlay.
www.ultrasound.orcon.net.nz

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 02:01  PM, Walter Knapp wrote:

> pratap singh wrote:
> > Dear Nature Recordists,
> >
> > Is there anybody in the list who has used Sennheiser MKH 815T for
> > nature-especially bird recording ? How does the mike compares with
> > MKh 816 for bird recording ? Is there a place to get used zepplin
> > suspension, fur and windjammer for MKH 815T?
>
> I believe there was one person recently who said they had one.
>
> It's of about the size of a MKH-416, and the design is based on that
> model so the specs for the Mid are similar, so it should compare to
> that
> one, rather than the MKH-816, which is a longer shotgun. It also has a
> relatively noisy side for a MKH mic.
>
> I'd assume it should fit suspension and wind gear that's the right size
> for a MKH-416. Ebay is one way to get used gear. However the
> suspensions
> and so on on Ebay are often hard fought over by folks who have not
> checked prices. So you want to research prices for each part and many
> auctions will go over a reasonable price. It can take a while to
> accumulate a full setup, or it can occur immediately.
>
> Walt

<image.tiff>