Re: Re: ultrasoundgate mic preamp

Subject: Re: Re: ultrasoundgate mic preamp
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 15:49:40 -0400
Raimund Specht wrote:
> Walt wrote:
>

>>To a certain extent I was aiming at our resident Marantz guy. He's
>
> made some discussions hard to keep balanced. The HHb guy is even
> more restrained than Klas. Hard to get him in a discussion at all.
>
> It should also be noted, that there could be some kind of risk to
> the manufacturer when taking part in such open discussions.
> Competitors may listen and his product might be disrespected by the
> crowd (which does not apply in these cases)...

Certainly giving out info on a not yet shipping device might help a
competitor. But something that's shipping anyone can get one to test any
way they want to. In general info on future products that's been posted
in the group by manufacturers has tended to be of a general nature and
not the sort of thing that would help a competitor much. And the
development time of good equipment is not instant, so by the time the
knowledge a product is about to come out is posted, there may be no
chance of a competitor bringing out something to compete in time unless
they were already doing it.

I'm pretty sure the people we have in this group are pretty fair. I
don't think there is much risk of disrespect unless deserved. Certainly
it's not disrespect to point out the specs of equipment or what that may
mean. Or examine the results of using the equipment. Even when our views
differ from the manufacturer's. The equipment, with the exception of
those like the Telinga, are generally not built with the nature
recording market as the primary, if any, focus. We often make different
demands than the intended market.