Re: Recording owls with a dish.

Subject: Re: Recording owls with a dish.
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:51:45 -0800
Walt wrote,

>Unfortunately all too true. It would be nice if a parabolic did have
>this sharp cutoff folks talk about sometimes. My telinga sucks in any
>low rumbles from way far away. Though it is directional, so if I'm lucky
>what I want is a different direction.

Nobody said sharp cutoff. At high frequencies the dish delivers full
gain. There's a transition region (depending on dish size) where the
gain slopes down with lowering frequency. Then then it levels out to
a low-frequency shelf where the mike is essentially just an omni not
much affected by the dish.

Same thing happens with a PZM mounted on a limited boundary, but in
the case of the PZM the high-frequency gain is limited to 6 dB.

-Dan Dugan