Re: Re: Son of Cheap stereo

Subject: Re: Re: Son of Cheap stereo
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:05:39 -0500
Gregory Kunkel wrote:
> Walt
>   The MZ-R70 does not have a line out, just two
> headphone outputs that Sony recommends connecting to
> stereo inputs with volume set to max. On the same
> recording site I also connected my digital camcorder
> to the SASS and I have transferred the audio/video by
> means of Firewire to my computer. I'll post a sample
> of the audio to my web page as soon as I figure out
> how best to do that. The camcorder specs claim 16 bit
> sound.

I see. Then, yes I find the advice to set vol at max flawed the times
I've done it. All depends on the audio device. For working from a
headphone output you are getting pretty good transfers.

> By the way, the video seems to show some larger,
> darker frogs,(Leopards?) attacking the smaller pink
> frogs (Wood?). Would this be normal?

A frog will eat anything that moves that it can get down, and they have
a large mouth. So if there was enough size difference you could get some
of that. When kept in captivity you have to be careful to only keep same
size frogs together. In general calling frogs are so focused on sex that
they are not interested in eating. And not interested in other species much.

Note that a male frog will grab anything that seems right in a breeding
situation. There are special release calls the males give to tell
another male he's grabbed the wrong frog (females sometimes give these
when they don't have eggs). Maybe you saw some of that? If so you may
have some release calls recorded. And I don't know what a Wood frog
release call sounds like.

> I'll try your pillow method for testing self noise.

It fits right in with your approach of keeping it cheap. And will give a
lot of practical info.