Re: Re: Son of Cheap stereo

Subject: Re: Re: Son of Cheap stereo
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:56:11 -0500
Gregory Kunkel wrote:
> The site was only 50 meters from the Long Island Sound
> and even though the wind was minimal there was a low
> surf running. Out on the beach the low frequency
> environmental sound was overwhelming even the call of
> the gulls. The recording site is shown on the lower
> photo on my web page. The only filtering I did was to
> run the output of the MD through a graphic equalizer
> with frequencies below 250 Hz set to -12db. I am still
> experimenting with the settings for recording level on
> the MD. For this recording I set the meter half way
> between the -12db mark and 0db.
>
> The setting on the output volume of the MD when
> transferring the audio signal also seems to be quite
> critical. Sony suggests setting it to max but this
> always introduces distortion so I back it off to about
> 50%.

I take it you are using the headphone output. If you have a line output
the volume setting would not matter. A line output is the more desirable.

> I am unsure how to separate environmental and self
> noise. A totally quiet environment is hard to find.
> Possibly a flat plaine with no trees or grass on a day
> with no wind.

For self noise, you don't need to be outside. Stick the mic under a few
pillows in as quiet a room as you have. Self noise is the signal the mic
makes with no sound present. Set the settings the same as you recorded
outside.

To get the true value you would need to know the noise level of the
outside environment you recorded. Which requires a sound meter. But you
can get an idea how much of the recording was self noise without knowing
the absolute value.