Re: Going digital.

Subject: Re: Going digital.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:22:53 -0500
Martyn Stewart wrote:
> OK Walt, its http://www.jardiniereco.com/sounds.htm
> The Mics used were for the Corncrake an AT4071A
> For the Tree Frog was a K6 & ME66
> And the Lapwings were a Telinga Science, No I don't think that Marantz
> were recycling the units but I share your skepticism :-)

In looking at the samples, the PMD-690 one clearly shows a pretty
strong, probably harmonic, imaging in the sonogram. Is this normal for
it, or just this particular recording?

I did a comparison sonogram, using just one channel to avoid the
difference between the two mics in the dual science mic, and put that here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/Martyn.samples.jpg

With different mics and subjects, there is little that can be made of
the variations in low frequency sounds. You did state there was a
background thunderstorm in the Portadisc sample. It sounded like more
low rumble from something other than the thunderstorm too.