RE: Going digital.

Subject: RE: Going digital.
From: "Martyn Stewart" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:13:37 -0800
I use Flash card recorders, minidisk & DAT.
My DAT recorders are a Tascam DA-P1 and a Sony PCM-M1, Both are great to
take out into the field and I have had no end of success with these,
however, I did have some trouble once with the DA-P1 In the humidity of
Australia and it played up a wee bit, but listing to others it's a
common occurrence with DAT recorders.
My Minidisk recorders are a HHB-500 Portadisk and various pocket size
Sony's. I like the format and as Walt says, they are handy in as much as
you slip another disk in when the first is full, Battery power is good
on all recorders but sometimes I will get trouble with the HHB-500 and
have to change batteries on a regular basis, especially if you are
running Phantom power.
I like the flash recorders (PC Cards) I have a Marantz PMD-690 and I
love this machine, transferring data is a sneeze, whatever you record on
this is transferred instantly for editing on your computer and if you
use Cool Edit" like me, this is the way to go, at first the flash cards
were an expensive media unlike MDisk but now with cards of over 128mb
from Costco its fairly cheep, You can also by portable drives that will
hold as much as 30Gigs that you can transfer all the data without a
laptop that will run on 2 AA batteries. If it's MD you want to go then I
would choose the Portadisk above the Marantz for most of the reasons
Walt has said but it does have a 20-second recording buffer for extra
confidence while recording on the move.
The Maycom recorders are great tools too and the latest handheld model
is showing you that the format will be as good and practical as the MD.
Take a look at this page on the Web for various choices of recorders.
http://www.bradleybroadcast.com/2001/digital_audio_recording.htm

Martyn

Martyn Stewart