Re: Going digital.

Subject: Re: Going digital.
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:25:54 +0000
I haven't actually been actively following this list for a while, but I
just happened to spot this thread in my inbox . To answer some of your
questions and statements regarding the Marantz range ..

I don't think the Marantz has the 6 second prerecord. That's a extremely
valuable feature found on the Portadisc.

The Marantz PMD650 does have pre-record, although it's only 2 seconds. One
of the other main distinguishing factor between ours and the Portadisc is
that we constantly update the TOC ( every 2 seconds ) so in the event of
anything bad happening, you should only lose two seconds of audio. We also
have a 20 second buffer to reduce the likelihood of shock damage etc.

I'd wondered about the quality, because the MD and solid state marantz
look so similar I was wondering if they were recycling internal circuits.

Not at all. There are no circuits an MD and Solid State recorder could
share, as the board layouts are totally different.

Signal to noise ratio:
HHb Portadisc - 89dB
PMD-650 - 90dB
PMD-690 - 80dB
Wonder what went funny with the PMD-690, that says it's a fair amount
noisier.

This is incorrect - I don't know where these figures have come from but
the signal to noise figures I have from our test labs, and which we use in
all our promotional material in Europe is 85dB for the PMD690.

Power consumption on record:
HHb Portadisc - 4.5w
PMD-650 - 5.5w
PMD-690 - 5.2w (and note when turned off it's still consuming power)

These are also incorrect. Power consumption is 5w on the 690. The reason
it consumes power when it's turned off is to keep the realtime clock chip
charged and up to date ( when creating files the time and date is in the
file header so this is necessary ) . The current is so small that the
power drain shouldn't be noticeable. Obviously if the battery is v.flat
this will rise, but in normal use it's negligible. Having the digital
output circuit switched on also increases power drain, so if you don't use
it turn it off.

With regards to the statements floating around about battery life, the
battery lifetime in both PMD650 and 690 is much longer using our own NiCad
or NiMH battery packs, rather than standard alkali.

We will be launching a 2nd gen solid state recorder at the AES in
Amsterdam, the week after next. Can't say too much obviously but does the
idea of using media up to 10gb sound interesting ( 12hours of uncompressed
stereo, with days worth of broadcast quality compressed audio ... ) ?

That's ok, I'm downloading the pictures of the Marantz for my files
right now. The idiots! Some are jpeg, high quality, but some are tiff

If you use the Marantz Pro Europe site (
www.marantz.com/pro/europe/index.html ) , the images are all properly
scaled jpeg ( and in fact there are a selection of sizes available ). Full
product sheets and the user manuals are also available as pdf. I don't
administer the US site so I really can't comment on whether they are
idiots or not !!

If anyone wants information about the Marantz range, I do subscribe to
this list so please feel free to ask.. there seems to be an awful lot of
conjecture floating around in threads like this ..........

Best Wishes

Matt

Matt Jarvis
Product Marketing Manager
Marantz Professional Europe
Kingsbridge House, Padbury Oaks, 575-583 Bath Road, Longford, Middx, UB7
0EH, United Kingdom
+447796610410 - Mobile
+441753686080 - UK Office
+441753686020 - Fax

Walter Knapp <>
2003-03-10 16:22
Please respond to naturerecordists

        cc:     (bcc: Matt Jarvis/LGD/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        Re: [Nature Recordists] Going digital.
        Classification:

Martyn Stewart wrote:
> OK Walt, its http://www.jardiniereco.com/sounds.htm
> The Mics used were for the Corncrake an AT4071A
> For the Tree Frog was a K6 & ME66
> And the Lapwings were a Telinga Science, No I don't think that Marantz
> were recycling the units but I share your skepticism :-)

In looking at the samples, the PMD-690 one clearly shows a pretty
strong, probably harmonic, imaging in the sonogram. Is this normal for
it, or just this particular recording?

I did a comparison sonogram, using just one channel to avoid the
difference between the two mics in the dual science mic, and put that
here:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/naturerecordists/Martyn.samples.jpg

With different mics and subjects, there is little that can be made of
the variations in low frequency sounds. You did state there was a
background thunderstorm in the Portadisc sample. It sounded like more
low rumble from something other than the thunderstorm too.