Re: Going digital.

Subject: Re: Going digital.
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:05:51 -0500
Martyn Stewart wrote:
> There you go Walt, I just got in and read both e-mails, I looked at my
> user manual and found what Matt said to be consistent, Thanks for the
> sonogram info, I think it was just the recordings so what I will do is
> record with the 2 machines and use the same microphone for your
> information, I agree with all Matt said so he helped me with a bit of
> homework, I will say this Walt, you are totally methodical in what you
> do and a totally interesting Bloke to know, I wish there were a load of
> people like you here to learn off, you old dog!!! I'll put the
> recordings up soon mate, but let me have my dinner first, I'm starving
> :-)

No rush, I'm cooking up another recording foray myself. The old geezer
has too much to do for the amount of life left. By a huge ratio.

It is necessary in trying to compare something to hold everything else
constant, or as close as can be. That's what I'm trying to do in posting
the mic samples. Same subjects, same recorder, same software processing
as far as possible.

It's interesting there should be so many things wrong with the US online
manual for the 690. Makes it really hard to sort things out. It's always
hard to compare between the specs given by different companies, but if
different parts of the same company vary it gets even harder. I think
that's where sharing experiences of actual users helps a lot.

The thing about recorders is that most of the types available can be
used to get good recordings. They will all do the job. The differences
are in how hard it will be, how much the recorder will get in the way of
that perfect recording. I suppose that's why I find the focus on the
simple transfer of sound to a computer such a strange thing to be the
main choice point of buying a recorder. I focus on the sound it can
capture, and how hard that will be, the part from mic to recording on
the recorder's disk. And the bit about how much I'll pay per year of
recording life. Once the sound is on the MD, as far as I'm concerned the
recorder has done nearly everything I need.

I just ordered another 50 HHb 80 minute minidiscs. I'm down to 8 blank
HHb disks, which won't last long this time of year. I've a bunch of
Sonys, but stick with the HHb's for nature recording and use the Sonys
for music and such like. And, the best justification I have for that is
that they look different, so I won't erase one in error. I did that once
and lost several site recordings when I was using Sony's for everything.
Or more like left it lying where my son thought is was one that was ok
to erase for recording some music. The 80 minute HHb's cost me $2.59
each this time, they are one of the most expensive minidiscs you can
buy. The bargain disks are much less.