Re: Re: Parabolic, Stereo and Mono

Subject: Re: Re: Parabolic, Stereo and Mono
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:59:57 -0500
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> When I tried two omnis without a barrier I got some kind of stereo of what
> was happening far away and no stereo of ambience. I didn't like it. It
> sounded really strange when replayed in loudspeakers.
> I tried to figure out what such a recording could be used for and found that
> a researcher perhaps could use it to make it easier to separate several
> birds singin in a flock. I have been into that problem myself, when it was
> nearly impossible to determine wheather it was one or two birds singing a
> certain phrase. In such a case such "distant stereo" could be helpful.
> Otherwise, the sound picture resembles nothing of what is present in real
> life.
> I will do more such tests, though. Could be useful on a cheap stereo model,
> having 2 small electret omnis.

For separating animal calls I much prefer the regular stereo from the
DAT Stereo element to such a partial stereo recording. One of the
reasons why I went to stereo in my scientific work is to make it much
easier to separate out the callers.

Two omnis without a barrier are going to be like using two omni's
without enough separation as far as local ambiance as they are picking
up that part mostly without the aid of the reflector. That would give
you weak or no stereo separation.