Parabolic, Stereo and Mono

Subject: Parabolic, Stereo and Mono
From: "1gdw" <>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:57:03 -0000
Members,

I have no experience with building microphones but would like to
make a parabolic using the Telinga dish.  I have been thinking about
both a Stereo and Mono design, following the previously posted
diagrams for a home made unit.
For the Mono setup;
If I use a mono mic such as a ME-62 ( I have a K-6 power unit),
would I be compromising the microphone efficiency if the mic was
orientated to point away from the dish?  The reason for that
orientation would be to accommodate the K-6 element of the mic and
keep the unit within the lip of the of the dish.
For the Stereo;
I will be using nosier lapel electric elements.
First idea: Would there be any benefit if I used a small 1 1/2 inch
boundary (mounted perpendicular to the dish axis ) and mount the
elements as a PZM.
Second idea, if the PZM idea has no merit: Would you expect the pick
up field of a cheaper omni to be uniform in shape?   Should I face
them into the dish or away from the dish .=20

A second thought about the stereo parabolic.  You folks have me
confused about using a barrier in the dish, is the barrier in Lang's
most recent photos acting as a PZM?  Is the barrier simply
reflecting the wave to a new path and the mic diaphragm is large
enough to gather all the semi focused wave?  Perhaps the setup is
relying on the efficiency of the mic to offset any loss of gain,
since the mic is not at the focus point.  How far from the focal
point can you move the mic elements?=20

1GDW,  Gerald White