Re: Re:Where did I go wrong?

Subject: Re: Re:Where did I go wrong?
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:10:01 -0700
Well,  I think the MD recording of the Owl sounds much better than the
camera recording. The MD has better low-freq. and a "fuller" ambient sound.
I do not see excessive noise in either, though, and I think you are hoping
for sound that is cleaner than you can reasonably expect from
consumer-grade equipment and spontaneous field recordings. The gain of the
MiniDisc is far below that of the camera, but it's still getting a good
recording. I had to boost the MD signal by 18 dB or so to get them equal,
and still didn't create any excess noise in the MD recording.

On the Drongo, the recordings are just too different to compare. The MD
seems to be set way too low, or the mic is malfunctioning or the MD is
malfunctioning. I do see some 60-cycle hum in the Drongo MD recording. Is
that from an external source, or an indication of a bad connection in the
MD/Mic connector? Others' opinions?

Doug

At 10:02 PM 2/6/2003, John Moore wrote:
>Many thanks again for all the advice. I'll definitely take a look at
>TS Pro Audio.  Stuart- I turned the MD every which way I could but I
>can't find any sliding switch (can't see anything in the manual
>about it either).
>Following Doug's suggestion, I've put four test clips I made this
>morning on my website (<http://thaibugs.com).>http://thaibugs.com). They
>were all converted
>to mp3 from wav file at 96kbps. I didn't do any editing. If anyone
>has the patience to listen to them, I'd really appreciate comments.
>The clips, which can be accessed from
><http://thaibugs.com/sounds/test.htm,>http://thaibugs.com/sounds/test.htm,
>are:
>
>1. owlcam         Asian barred owlet recorded with camcorder and
>Sound Professionals mic
>2. owlmd           Same bird, same time,same place, recorded on MD
>with Sony ECM 957 mic with Shure matching transformer, volume set to
>manual, about 50% gain.
>3. drongocam     Black drongo recorded with camcorder as above
>4. drongomd       Same bird etc on MD with Sony ECM 957 mic, plugged
>into mic input, no transformer, gain set to about 50%.
>
>When I got home and listened to no.4 I checked the Sony mic on the
>camcorder and it gave about the same level of gain as the Sound
>Professionals, so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the
>battery.
>Basically, I'm not happy with any of the recordings, so Walt's
>comments on the HHB vs Marantz were very helpful.
>
>Regards
>John Moore

Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA