Re: Re:Where did I go wrong?

Subject: Re: Re:Where did I go wrong?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:38:53 -0500
miguel wrote:
> a very important feature that has not been mentioned about MD recorders is
> that they are comb filters, in other words they selectively record some
> frequencies/frequency groups, never giving you the complete frequency
> spectrum. This  is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you
> are recording.

Where did you get such a idea? They record all, I repeat all
frequencies. Or have the sonograms I've done for many years on hundreds
of MD recording telling lies? They are not comb filters.

Also like most consumer products, they operate at a
> -10 db input level not +4 . That alone will give you considerable amounts of
> noise that no Mic will be able to compensate for. If  you are recording
> ambient sounds, it will definitely affect the quality of your recordings

While we are talking about a consumer walkman MD, you should realize
there are Pro MD's too.

The consumer MD's are capable of recording all that the mics in question
can put out.