Re: sound editing software

Subject: Re: sound editing software
From: "evertveldhuis <>" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:14:06 -0000
Rich,

Back in the days that I needed sound editing software I had a pretty
bad soundcard. Investing in any editing software while your soundcard
is not that good is somewhat a waste of money to me.

So I did something radical; I got myself a SoundBlaster Live. My
european edition had SoundForge (the two channel sound editor from
SonicFoundry) and Cubase (a multitrack recorder & player also called
a sequencer). Because the card had digital input and output I could
(and have) it connected to the digital input and output of my MD deck.

This not only gives me the option of transfering the MD audio -
recorded on my portable recorder - digitally into the computer.
The MD deck also gives me a outboard DAC and outboard ADC so my whole
stereo system connected to the PC is of very good quality for a low
budget price.

If some beginners invest in portable MD recorders, and microphones.
Maybe buying a soundcard with bundled software can be a cheap way to
get both hard- and software that is compatible with each other.

Just my two euro-cents...

PS, currently the soundblaster comes with WaveLab (lite edition from
Steinberg) Price is 222 euro, the card has optical and coaxial
digital in- and outputs, and it isn't the bad card people think it is.
Saying the current soundblaster is a shitty card, is like saying
ATRAC is bad.
And believe me ATRAC is GOOD!

The only things 'bad' about the creative soundcards are the onboard
ADC and DAC and the fact that you must use its internal frequency;
for instance for the Live that means recording and editing all at 48
kHz.

Regards
Evert - who's ducking now; he said something good about Creative (tm)

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:16 2005
Message: 13