Re: For surround sound folks

Subject: Re: For surround sound folks
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:24:29 -0500
Jeremiah Moore wrote:
> I'd be a bit surprised if the Sonica device actually manages that
> much audio I/O on USB due to bandwidth limitations - I think 6
> channels of 24-bit 48KHz is about the practical limit for USB.  Maybe
> it's taking a compressed datastream (like Dolby AC3) via USB and
> decompressing it at the unit?  It would be compelling to have that
> much I/O in a small unit at low price point, but too good to be true?

It is a USB 2 device, I can't remember just what the speed jump is for
USB 2, but it is faster.

As I said, I've not researched it as it's not compelling to me to have
that sort of thing. 7.1 surround is how many mics? Think about it, then
think about setting all that up out in the woods. Stereo is enough to
cart around.