Re: Re: MD to computer transfer

Subject: Re: Re: MD to computer transfer
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:25:13 -0800 (PST)
> There is the option using the long out of production MD Data drive to do
> faster transfers. I don't have that, it's not been a issue with me.

I do have this, but caution! To use it for audio data transfer you need to
purchase a solution from EDL in the UK ~ linked off the 'gear I use'
section of my 'links/resources' page, I don't have the URL handy.

EDL actually modify the MDH-10 data drive with custom firmware, it no
longer works as a standard data drive after that ~ but it does work with
their software.

It 'rips' data at 5x normal digital transfer speed because it sends the
undecoded ATRAC information to the PC ~ my suspicion is the actual
low-level read speed is identical :).  Consequently you can make CD
backups of your MDs at about a 5-to-1 ration, by backing up the original
ATRAC files...

To use them for any other purpose, though, you need to decode them to WAV
(via the provided software...)... on my current machine decode is quite
quick, an entire disk might decode in a minute or two.

Personally, I find the ability to transfer data quickly and directly into
various folders invaluable...

...the only stumbling block I've had with the system is that disk with
record errors (e.g., because the unit was jostled while writing) can trip
it up ~ it'll diligently try and retry to read 'bad' data. I eventually
cajoled my contact at EDL into adding user control for the retry logic, so
it's now useable to read disks in that condition ~ though it still pauses
on bad sectors a minute or so.  In such cases I usually revert to the
tried-and-true method of importing audio via SPDIF digital out of my
component Sony MD deck (JB-920 I believe)...

Best,

 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org