Re: MD to PC?

Subject: Re: MD to PC?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:59:13 -0500
Shaun wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>              Thank you for the reply, clears things up for me
> somewhat, I know that I will have to play with cool edit a bit more
> to get it all the way that I want it, one other thing I was wondering
> was about the Optical line that came with the MD, isn't this for
> digital recording and if so couldnt I use this as the minijack? And
> one last thing I am concerned about would be my mic on my PC, should
> I mute or dissconnect this so that it will not interfere with my MD
> recording in cool edit? Thanks again.

The Optical line is optical fiber, transmits light, not electricity. The
  line in on your MD is a combo jack for optical digital or electrical.
It's only for input of digital sound, not output. (it was included for
folks to record their mp3's to minidisc if they have a digital output
for their computer.) Your MD does not have digital output so you will
need to use analog transfer. You'll have to get the right cable, Radio
Shack will have several quality levels of it. I usually will use their
good stuff with gold connectors.

You should have a option to direct the PC as to which sound input it's
listening to. On macs that's in a control panel, suppose it's the same
in PC's, but not sure. At worst you might have to mute the mic, but in
setting the sound input it should be turned off automatically.