Re: MD to PC?

Subject: Re: MD to PC?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:23:17 -0500
claudio chea wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i dont write much to the list, but here goes... the optical
> line is to record from the computer, to the minidisc, not
> the other way.. you cant record audio through the optical
> on the computer, at least not with my md (sony)..

Only the pro level Marantz and HHb Portadisc have the optical outputs.
Consumer level MD's just have analog output.

Analog can work quite well, but requires a bit more attention to detail.
You don't have to do level adjusts or worry about grounding problems
with digital. You do with analog. In particular be very careful about
clipping, bringing in the sound too loud. Slight clipping will not be
evident in most metering systems, so don't go to where your signal is
reaching the 0 indicator. Allow a little headroom for the sharp
transients it's not responding to.

If doing Analog input, check your sound software for DC Offset removal.
Probably be in the filtering or sound processing section. Tiny
differences in the ground potential of the two machines can offset your
signal so it does not oscillate exactly around zero. This is DC Offset,
and removing it will make a slight improvement that you can hear if it
was present. When I was doing analog transfers, it seemed to vary from
time to time, so I just did it to everything as a routine.