Re: nomad firmware upgrade fixes recording problem

Subject: Re: nomad firmware upgrade fixes recording problem
From: "bataillejp" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:04:37 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:

> For field recording, no matter how much you think you are willing to
> juggle everything, keeping the system physically simple will get you
> more recording time. You will use it more. You will make less accidental
> noises while recording. There is a lot to be said for the only
> connecting cable being between the mics and recorder, and the recorder
> on a good shoulder strap with all the controls integrated together right
> at hand. One hand can handle all the recorder operations while the other
> manipulates the mics. I even go to the length of using stereo XLR cables
> as much as I can, don't like the pair of mono cables, more to tangle in.
> I put a lot of thought into making my mic setups as minimalist as
> possible for the type too. This sort of stuff is a concern, you cannot
> make it not so.
>
> Walt

I couldn't agree more.
I often say to my student that the secret of field recording is in the
BAG.
Lots of thought must be put in the bag.
Taking the time to look for the right bag and modifying it for the
exact purpose saved me a lot of hassle, and I consequently recorded
more and better.

Jean-Paul Bataille