Re: nomad firmware upgrade fixes recording problem

Subject: Re: nomad firmware upgrade fixes recording problem
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:43:24 -0400
Po-Jen Chiang wrote:
> If DJ3 could perform a good job in recording from digital sources, would it
> be a good idea in using the DJ3 with a good-quality outboard mic-pre+ADC?
> For example, Apogee mini-me or Lunatec V3-> coaxial-to-optic converter ->
> DJ3. DJ3 can record in 44.1kHz WAV format. I suppose that the sound quality
> should be as good as DAT in 44.1kHz. DJ3 is simply a recording media. For
> nature recording which 8-channel recording is unlikely, will this be a good
> alternative of the PORTADRIVE, if 44.1kHz is the sampling rate and more
> parts, controls and cables are not concerns?
>
> If I would like to give this combination a trial, what coaxial-to-optic
> converter will you suggest? I wonder whether there is similar products which
> have coaxial digital in and then I won't need a digital format converter.
> Any other aspect to consider in getting better sound?

This sure seems like a lot of pieces. The nomad is giving you little
other than a hard disk. I would suggest before trying to cart all this
into the field and use it you figure some way to try it out. Lots of
pieces and cables to juggle, each one not a exact match to the next.

Each piece is going to cost a bit. The total will be similar to a Field
recorder like the Portadisc in price. And the Portadisc is a balanced
system, everything works perfectly together and unless you are going to
buy the very top end mics will give you all the quality the mics
produce. Even with top end mics you will gain little with a external
high end pre. BTW, the Portadisc does have coax digital in and out. As
well as optical.

BTW, if the sound quality you get will only be as good as dat, the
Portadisc does better. Better dynamic range. By bit shifting it gets the
dynamic range of a 24 bit recorder. Something they had not thought of
doing back when DAT was standardized. It's not a big issue as it's rare
the extra 25 dB of range will be available from mics and environment.

If you want to record direct to WAV, Marantz has a recorder that does
that and the media is removable, so you can have infinite capacity if
willing to pay for it. Of course the "media" costs a lot more than minidisc.

For field recording, no matter how much you think you are willing to
juggle everything, keeping the system physically simple will get you
more recording time. You will use it more. You will make less accidental
noises while recording. There is a lot to be said for the only
connecting cable being between the mics and recorder, and the recorder
on a good shoulder strap with all the controls integrated together right
at hand. One hand can handle all the recorder operations while the other
manipulates the mics. I even go to the length of using stereo XLR cables
as much as I can, don't like the pair of mono cables, more to tangle in.
I put a lot of thought into making my mic setups as minimalist as
possible for the type too. This sort of stuff is a concern, you cannot
make it not so.