Re: TCD5-Pro 2

Subject: Re: TCD5-Pro 2
From: "adam5532" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 02:18:16 -0000
Mark,

The Sony TC-D5M is in my opinion the finest portable cassette
recorder ever made (the TCM-5000, on the other hand, is far inferior
in sound quality and construction). The chassis is metal (not
plastic), the head is very good and very solidly mounted, and the
quartz speed control is excellent with low wow & flutter and precise
speed (within 0.1% with 0.2% or less variation from begining to end).

The TC-D5 Pro II is a slight variation of the TC-D5M: It has XLR mic
inputs instead of phone jacks, a different head, it has no line
inputs, and can not record on metal tape. This model's built-in
microphone balancing transformers are very small, and since small
transformers usually suffer from low frequency distortion problems
(and cheap transformers have other problems), I recommend the TC-D5M
instead. Unfortunately the TC-D5M has been discontinued by Sony,
although the TC-D5 Pro II is still listed as available.

At any rate it is sort of moot. I concur with the other comments: If
I were buying a new machine I would definately get a minidisc or
memory/hard disk recorder instead.

Thanks,
Adam Liberman
Liberman Sound

--- In  "Mark Pearman" <> wrote:
> Can anyone give a very brief summary of the specifications of the
Sony