canberrabirds

More Superb at Gungahlin

To: "" <>
Subject: More Superb at Gungahlin
From: John Layton <>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 00:59:32 +0000

Yes, a good place to see a variety of local parrots is in the precents of the oak tree at the southern end of Holt Oval when the acorns ripen. Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and King Parrots move in to feast on the hanging fruit while Eastern Rosellas and Superb Parrots are in the grass eating the dropped scraps and, after the arboreal acorns are gone, the larger species will join those on the ground. Where branches overhang the bitumen carpark acorns are crushed beneath car tyres and rosellas together with cockatoos capitalise on the squashed fruit. However, I rarely see Superb Parrots dining a la tar.

John Layton

Holt.

Philip

When you think about it distributions of these two birds do not really overlap, except it seems in rare places such as Canberra. Both are similar size and will feed on the ground for small seeds etc.  We don't get many King Parrots in Gungahlin.  But as the Superbs get seen more often in central and southern Canberra, such interactions may become more common.