canberrabirds

Has eBird made people selfish with sightings?

To: Philip Veerman <>, 'COG Chat' <>
Subject: Has eBird made people selfish with sightings?
From: David Rees <>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 02:33:34 +0000

Philip

Just remember, these days many farmers have biosecurity protocols in place either of their own or requested by customers (domestic and International), industry accreditation and or by legislation. That means that they need to regulate coming and going of visitors to their property, and prove they have done it.  There are also the new NSW laws on farm trespass to get at 'Animal rights activists'. Birdwatchers are not the target but they could get tangled up in this

I think its best to be cautious and behave decently and not enter private property without permission.  Personally in my time in Australia bird watching I have never encountered hostility from a land owner/lessee and on many occasions the exact opposite.  The vast majority of such folk don't see us as a threat relative to other sorts that may be out and about, illegal hunters,  'unauthorized 'borrowers' of stock, fuel and equipment, dirt bike riders come to mind, let us keep it that way.

The situation in the UK is bad because of the number of obsessive bird watchers, esp 'twitchers' who go after off-course vagrant birds, which the UK gets lots of due to it geographical location midway along a major flight way and not too far from the eastern US one.

David