canberrabirds

Has eBird made people selfish with sightings?

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Has eBird made people selfish with sightings?
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 01:09:13 +0000
As a semi-competitive ebird user, I personally find sharing a rare sighting one of the most rewarding aspects, especially when others successfully find the bird and thank you for it.
There are many reasons though why a record may not make it up promptly. I don't use mobile data and often may go birding before work other activities, and do not get the opportunity to post until much later in the day when I get home or connect to wifi.
I think the other problem is that ebirders tend to have a different perception on what is considered rare and worth reporting. There are probably many species which many chatline subscribers would appreciate hearing about, which ebirders may dismiss as unnoteworthy.
There will be exceptions, but overall I think you still get a lot more sharing of sightings from those who post to ebird than those who don't.
Ryu