canberrabirds

Why don't cuckoos...

To: "" <>
Subject: Why don't cuckoos...
From: John Harris <>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 05:47:42 +0000
Of course Con is right. In the theoretical evolutionary world, why not a meat
eating cuckoo? Maybe there is one already somewhere.
But I took the original question to be why don't Koels, in particular,
parasitize raptors.  Hence my musing that diet had something to do with it.
Koels are designed to eat fruit and it is a bit hard to imagine a koel chick
with its unsuitable bill tearing apart a small mammal delivered by the parent.
Philip informed us that a Channel-billed Cuckoo has been known to parasitize a
Sparrowhawk but that sort of proves the point. CB Cuckoos do eat a mixed diet
which includes small birds etc and they are better equipped as chicks to eat
whatever the raptor parent provides. Thus they do tend to parasitize carnivores.