canberrabirds

Why don't cuckoos...

To: Con Boekel <>
Subject: Why don't cuckoos...
From: Michael Lenz <>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 05:46:49 +0000
As you have pointed out Con, raptors are at the top of the food chain, hence their numbers/density are/is low.  For cuckoos to be successful they require a number of hosts/host nests at the appropriate  stage to add their own egg.  Raptors would not meet such a requirement. Further, John Harris has just described how 3 Red Wattlebirds harassed the female Koel. If a raptor would harass a cuckoo, the cuckoo may not come off as lightly as probably the female Koel did in John's case.

Michael Lenz