canberrabirds

hunting in nsw national parks

To: "Maconachie, Michael" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: hunting in nsw national parks
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 23:27:38 +1100
All the discussion about shooting in National Parks prompts me to recount an experience I had probably about 18 years ago if memory serves me correctly.

I was a runner in those days and had set off for a gallop on the firetrails of the  magnificent Murramarang NP at South Durras.  I was only about half a mile into the scrub (i.e. about that distance from the houses in the village) when I came across a bloke standing in front of his ute at the edge of a deep puddle in the track.  He had two small dogs with him.  I stopped for a chat, thinking he was sussing up the puddle with a view to crossing in the vehicle.

Meanwhile, one of the small dogs disappeared into the bush up the adjacent hillside.  Next thing the dog started barking excitedly which galvanised the bloke into action .  Like a man possessed he was back to the vehicle, pushing the seat forward, dragging out a rifle and scrambling up the hillside.  At this point I decided to get outa there and resumed running at a greatly increased pace, the other small dog accompanying me despite all my attempts to tell it to "stay".  A few minutes later came the "kaboom!" of a single gunshot.  In the stillness of the forest it sounded like a cannon and I instinctively ducked the head and accelerated to 4 minute mile pace.  (The dog having no trouble keeping up).

About half an hour later, (my pulse rate having returned to something below 200 beats per minute) I heard a vehicle and turned to see the man and his ute approaching.  He stopped, we resumed chatting and there in the back of the ute was the other small dog with a very proud  & pleased look on its face sitting beside the biggest dead pig I had ever seen.  His story was that he was (obviously) a hunter who shot only wild pigs and saw what he was doing as a service to the community and a benefit to the National Park. The dogs looked like ordinary domestic pets and were certainly not in the traditional pig dog mould (i.e. the stud collar kind that grabs their quarry by the ears to bring them down).  He said they  were trained to detect pigs at which point he steps  in with the firearm. On this occasion the dog had found the pig holed up in a hollow log (must have been a big log!)  He said he didn't eat his kills because they apparently have a record of TB, but he did boil up the meat and feed it to the dogs.  At this point, having established in his mind that I wasn't going to squeal to the authorities, (and I didn't, but probably would today) he gathered up the other dog and headed off.  Whew!

That was my one and only encounter with a wild pig in Murramarang.  I don't know if they are regarded as a problem there today.  Foxes are probably a different story..  I note that Murramarang thankfully is not a listed NP for hunting purposes, and of course it wasn't then.

Cheers

Rod

Footnote:    If I was ambling along with the binoculars on the trails off the Clyde Mountain I would hate to encounter some of the wild dogs (BIG dogs) I have seen there.