canberrabirds

hunting in nsw national parks

To: "'Julian Robinson'" <>, "'COG list'" <>
Subject: hunting in nsw national parks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 15:54:07 +1100
I agree with Julian. Fundamental to this is the question as to why were foxes and presumably also most deer and rabbits introduced to Australia? So that they would be available to hunt (for deer and rabbits as a food source but foxes for nothing). My first thought was who would want to restock these areas. Then when you think of the effort it would have taken to catch, maintain and transport these animals on ships from Europe or Asia, in the middle of the 19th century, it shows how motivated people can be to do something really dumb for a hobby that is dumber. The stories of mice, rats, toads and mynas (let alone all the other birds) at least had a reason that at the time seemed sensible or unavoidable (for rodents), even though not properly investigated and have been disastrous.