canberrabirds

hunting in nsw national parks

To: <>
Subject: hunting in nsw national parks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:47:51 +1100
This comment:

Many years ago I had a case in Papua New Guinea where a village woman was shot by someone hunting cassowaries, in fact the shooter thought the woman WAS a cassowary.  Some birdwatchers can look kind of ambiguous

and this one:

Last year there was a tragic accident when a NZ shooter mistook a school teacher for a deer, and shot and killed her.

Sounds like a good excuse. Did Ivan Milat or Martin Bryant ever try that one? I was similarly confused when I was at school.

That happens all the time. It sounds like relevant to the issue of gun control (not allowing idiots to have them - is that an oxymoron), more than the issue of hunting in nsw national parks. I expect we are more likely to be killed or injured whilst driving to or from these national parks than by being shot, (although any additional or increasing risk for nil benefit is questionable).

What is concerning though is the suggestion that shooters shoot first before knowing what it is they are targeting. This is not good and I wonder how widespread that is.

I know on the (I think once only) time that I went on a shooting event (and it was fun) it was targeting foxes (as I recall in bad years the owner who was the brother of my best friend at Uni at the time made more money from foxes than sheep.) Also on this occasion at my request it included a cat. This was on a sheep station near Ivanhoe in central southern NSW in 1977 and I was a passenger and the shooter was the owner of the property. I kept the cat's skin for months until conceding that I did not have the resources or skill to properly tan it. The cat had a Crested Pigeon and a beetle in its stomach. The other main things I recall there is the garden birds of the homestead included a pair of Australian Dotterels, the only ones I have ever seen. We found and I caught a Dunnart that night. Also when driving to Mildura to catch the train back to Melbourne a Spotted Nightjar flew off the road on to the car window and was killed.