canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] avocets at Forde Pond.

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] avocets at Forde Pond.
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 13:45:38 +1100

Call it whatever name you think conveys the meaning, Bill.  So much depends on the light, and be wary of printed illustrations in books.  HANZAB calls the colour ‘chestnut’ and gives it as ‘dark 240’ in the colour guide.  In the below snap the same image is given first on the dark and then light side of the camera settings, which were arbitrary anyway.  Colour 240 is labelled ‘Kingfisher Rufous’ in the guide and is shown below (arrow) as overexposed in sunlight and then darkened.  The HANZAB descriptions were based on ‘diffuse natural light’ or equivalent.  Anyway our respective monitors – and eyes – will see colours differently, anyway.